PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet Handing Text Book
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2009, 06:32
BelArgUSA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be aware that "Handling the Big Jets" by D.P. Davies was issued to every newly hired Pan American pilot from 1969 until sometimes in the 1980s, as recommended flight training information for the 707, and in the third edition issued in the late 1970s, which included chapters about the 747.
xxx
As an instructor at the Academy, I never failed to quote paragraphs of that masterpiece for initial training classroom lectures in 707, 727 or 747 training programs. Despite modern technology airplanes, it remains highly recommended to anyone starting a career as jet pilot, and supplements the official issues of FCTMs by Boeing...
xxx
Another less known book, is "Fly the Wing" (by Jim Webb), an excellent source of information for the DC-9 or similar type of aircraft, which clarifies some concepts of FAR/JAR Part 25 performance, for twin jets.
xxx
Regarding "Flying the Big Jets" by Stanley Jones, I have not failed to read it as well, as an introduction to more modern aircraft equipment and vocabulary, however, D.P. Davies' masterpiece original remains the basic source of knowledge. After all, even modern airplanes such as Airbus types are not exempt from similar handling characteristics, and problems. In 2009, aircraft flying remains "lift as opposed to gravity" and "thrust as opposed to drag" despite EFIS and "fly by wire" concepts... Agreed...?
xxx
Despite the fact that I am now retired, "Handling the Big Jets" has remained my favorite bedside table book, and I open it, at times, to answer some questions that appear in Pprune...
xxx
I say again, a masterpiece and a "must read"... Make it your Bible or Quran...

Happy contrails