PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Army major held over ‘medal fiddle’
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2009, 22:33
Tankertrashnav

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Sir Ryan Giggs?

I sort of agree with you Beagle, but I always thought it rather nice that Stanley Matthews got his, as he was a real gent. I think we have to differentiate here between decorations (gallantry medals) and orders, which can be anything from an MBE to a knighthood. I think its generally agreed that the whole honours system ( by which I mean orders, not decorations) is pretty well discredited - just take a look at those bestowed on recently disgraced bankers, etc. The 'other bugger's efforts' remark is well made, and I think most people would agree with that sentiment.

The orders business then is pretty well past saving, all the more reason that the matter of awarding decorations ("real" medals) should be beyond suspicion. One think I'd like to see is separate investitures, one type where the top civil servants and the scrambled egg types from the services lined up to collect the appropriate bauble for their rank, and another one where the real heroes got their gallantry awards. Dont think it's about to happen though.