PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2009, 21:25
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
The area aroiund Heathrow was once home to several airfields-flat and near London so ideal of course. The mighty LHR itself is of course an outgrowth f one such developemnt the modest but grandly named Great West Aerodrome which I think belonged to Faireys.

Heston is still visible with listed buildings - Chamberlains Munich flight Peace in Our Time etc of course and some natty metal cutouts of a 1930s monplane on main road. Many years after it ceased to be an airfield due to the proximity of LHR twas a CAA office f some kin for quite some time in the 60s and 70s

Not sure where Hounslow Aerodrome was unless it was on the Heath but there is also close by Hanworth Airpark. Which I havent been to for years but kicked a football around many times n the 1970s. No sign of it then either but the area was still known as Hanworth Airpark. Last one is Langley near Slough which was a manufacturing site in WW2 and test airfield for things lke the Typhoon or Tempest I believe. Was a Ford van works for many years not sure if that is still there.
Given the decline in industry in UK must be several old airfields which became industrial sites before moving onto third generation use as housing estates.

Fascinating thread

PB