PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK - "When Established on the Localiser, Descend on the Glideslope"
Old 6th May 2009, 17:07
No Further Requirements

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HD:
"Maybe it's to preserve our enviable safety record? Pilots have done it in the past and whilst the vast majority would fly the ILS I think it is wise to take account of the odd one who might not. Prevention of a mid-air over west London is well worth the unambiguous phraseology currently employed."
I'm sure they have done it before, and it is commendable that you want to prevent an incident. But isn't that like saying we won't fly aircraft below each other in case one busts a level or descends without clearance? Lowest common denominator stuff. I think the phraseology is babying the pilots. If, as one poster has said, the UK is trying to keep to ICAO as much as possible, then they should dispence with this cumbersome R/T and keep it standard.

"Cleared RWY## ILS/Localizer approach" - Halas!

ILS = glidepath and localizer
Localizer = localizer and DME steps as per approach plate.

Education is the key. But I still fail to see why it is that much of an issue only in the UK. Do these giant duck-downs off the glidepath happen in other places? Anyone?

Cheers,

NFR.