PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Relatives claim government failed to protect victims of RAF Hercules crash
Old 6th May 2009, 14:59
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think arrogance, indifference and humility exist to differing degrees, at least judging by the witness evidence and how it was given at the Inquest. Some of those in the CoC who could have done something have being promoted and promoted again. Who knows if they learned lessons. This thing has received so much publicity over the last few years, I hope any crew member is up for challenging and questioning tactics that he/she thinks are unnecessarily risky.

The comment about shooting up the flight deck was a cheap shot, pardon the pun. Hercs had already been hit by rounds in the previous few months and were considered, wrongly, to be even more robust. Of course, XV179 was brought down by a single round in an unprotected fuel tank. You have the right to your view on the importance or otherwise of ESF. Having sat through a majority of the Inquest, I will be amazed if the MoD can mount an adequate defence to the legal writ, especially on this point. (For one thing they have destroyed most of their own audit trail, if it ever existed in the first place, which I rather doubt). I cannot see the legal system agreeing with you. The Coroner was adament that the evidence presented to the court made a clear case for ESF. No reasoning was provided from the MoD as to why the two recommends were not actioned, or why frontline crews were not informed about the risks. In the absence of an audit trail, the MoD are screwed. You still misunderstand the importance of ESF. One round blew off 23 feet of the wing. That is the reality of the absence of this protection, ESF, or lack of, was THE most important factor at the Inquest.

Operating in daylight is something the J continued to do for logistical reasons in Iraq in the aftermath of the tragedy.

Daylight low level SF ops since XV179 was shot down? Almost non-existent. The roots of the routine use of daylight low level ops are to be found in Afghanistan. The one pilot who challenged these tactics, in the early days of the war, was removed from SF shortly afterwards. The person who removed him, hopefully has had time to reflect on the message he was trying to get across.

At least I hope so.

Last edited by nigegilb; 6th May 2009 at 15:46.