PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did You Fly The Vulcan?? (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2009, 14:42
MAINJAFAD

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Nope. they got rescued after going bust, and finally went bust again in 1989/90 after James Guerin and the International Signal hole in the books ($400 million, IIRC) as described by tornadoken. Ferranti sponsored me through University, and gave me my first job after graduation (I stayed at Crewe Toll for ten years and three name changes).Yes, they delivered systems. Seaspray for Naval Lynx (and occasional other platforms, including one fast patrol boat), Blue Vixen for SHAR FA.2, Blue Kestrel for Naval Merlin, ECR.90 (now CAPTOR) for Typhoon, AMSAR (now CAESAR) for Typhoon Tranche 3. All of these products were led from Crewe Toll except the last.Strictly speaking, Blue Vixen was a shared project with Ericsson, so the PS/05a in the early Gripen is very similar (but not identical) in hardware terms; the software is totally different between the two.You could argue that being able to design and manufacture an LTM for ground forces, the PGM that it guided, the LRMTS and LTM pod on the launch aircraft, the radar and nav system to get it there and the DASS to protect it, the system to plan the mission and record its success or failure, and all of the associated test equipment to make sure that these stay working - is a systems capability.On the Nav front, they won the nav system for early Ariane rockets, Jaguar, and Tornado (and nearly Challenger 2 until they decided GPS was the way forward.) In fact, several of the avionic subsystems in Tornado GR.1 was Ferranti design or responsibility - radar, INS, moving map display, LRMTS, LTM pod, not sure about the HUD.There was a succession of ATE equipments for use in RAF kit - if you've ever seen something with the power of a ZX-81 in a full-height 19" rack called FIST, then that was the Ferranti Inertial Systems Tester. I spent my summer vacations from University working with the mostly-Bellshill-based team that designed those and the AST-1000 and AST-1200 (a rugged test kit for Harrier GR.5).That was Silverknowes - who also went on to design DIRCM aka Nemesis, and the DASS for the WAH-64 before they moved along the road to Crewe Toll.At Robertson Avenue and then South Gyle, the Product Support, Electro-Optics, and Display Systems Divisions designed Mission Data Recorders and Mission Planning systems, not to mention Head-Up displays, NVGs, and high-brightness screens. They also designed and delivered TIALD, and were working on the Al Hakim PGMs for UAE. Somewhere in the mix was a artillery-sound-locating system.Before merger with International Signal, Ferranti Defence Systems employed over 6,000 people in Edinburgh, over half of whom were engineering graduates. They didn't just design the kit, they manufactured it too - the central machine shop at Crewe Toll was an impressive sight to behold. Five years later, it was down to 3,000 people. Strangely, there are a few technology firms based in Edinburgh because of the availability of engineering experience...
Off Topic...You could add the 1986 Bloodhound 2 LCP (new computer and displays for both the RAF and the Swiss) upgrade and The RAF ADP Bloodhound C2 system to that list, along with FIAPDS (based on the Ferranti CHARGE display processor). If memory serves all of that was done out of Wythenshaw.