PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Logging time on PPL checkrides
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2009, 09:44
Whopity

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Homeguard

I think there are numerous ways of interpreting it and despite claims to the contrary there is no definitive answer. Personally, I see no problem with the other pilot logging P1S for a check out, and have done it this way for years. Article 35 states that you should log your operating capacity, and I think P1S describes it accurately. If you do more than one flight, only the last would realistically qualify as P1S the rest would be Dual.

The other issue is with regard to claiming hours towards licence issue and revalidation where too many hours P1S is not the objective. All guidance on the subject (LASORS) is there simply to ensure pilots are not making applications with hours that are not acceptable.

There is no law that says you can't have two pilots in a single pilot aeroplane. The law actually specifies a minimum number of crew, then it is down to the operator!

Provided that you meet issue and revalidation requirements with appropriate hours, it matters not how you log dual flights so long as you comply with Art 35. If you are doing any instruction, which includes using your judgment as an instructor, i.e. observing the other pilot, then you log the entire flight. If you teach anything, then it should of course be dual.

The law is quite simple with regard to logging hours and the guidance is there for a specific purpose, beyond that, its down to the individual. As long as you log what you actually did, then you have fulfilled the requirement. A chance to be honest rather than rule bound!

Last edited by Whopity; 6th May 2009 at 09:57.