PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Character Building" Landings
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2009, 19:45
cirruscrystal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha

Thats amusing as i had a very smiliar experience on one of my first crosscountry solos. I was at an airfield with gusting sea breeze where a very similar thing happened. I found it an extremely eductional experience although at the time very nerve racking.

My instructor never hammered it into me that if you are in the slightest bit unhappy with the approach or a heavy touch or balloon then firewall and go around. It is a beautiful thing to be able to do as an ex glider pilot not something that i was hard wired to do.

I think it is a slight disadvantage as a glider pilot to transfer to power as instinctively i tried to get it in depite a very near destructive 3rd bounce!

Since then strangely it almost takes the pressure off on approach as if one is slightest bit unsure as to satisfactory flare/approach then just do it again, although it is very rare that it is needed. Character building and certainly educational, as with most flying you will really learn your airmanship through PIC experience as it is you and the machine.