PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision)
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2009, 15:59
tigermagicjohn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAA is blaming it on JAR, having spoken with chief medical doctor - he himself did not personally agree with the pre op limits put on laser surgery.
However it is because of JAR and later EASA, they need approval from all countries, and some of them want more strict rules, French and Germans I have been told.

However defies all logic with regards to safety, a pilot from USA, can arrive on a 747 with glass like the bottom of Coca Cola bottle, and not even see the exit door when he takes his glasses or lenses off.
I do understand and agree for military aircraft it needs to higher standards due to their kind of flying, but commercial airlines - sorry JAR has got this completely wrong. And all doctors I have spoken to agrees on this.

I believe given time, maybe 5 - 10 years they will start to see sense here in JAR land to, but I hope this will not kill of the dream for some! I say don't give up, where there is a will there is a way.
Going trough FAA might be risky, but there are other countries you can fly in who do not belong to JAR, and where FAA license is sufficient, but of course this is not the easy route, but if you young free and single, it is not impossible!