PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "To err is human": differing attitudes to mistakes in EK and Turkish accidents
Old 5th May 2009, 14:33
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can debate the subject ad nauseum but what is certain is that cultural mores should have have no place on the flight deck. Where it exists then sooner or later there will be dangerous and undisclosed close shaves where to these pilots their personal Deity does his job and saves the day - or he doesn't step in and people die. Forget James Reason and all the other books of that genre. Interesting stuff to the interested, but gobbly-dook to a culture driven pilot.
One may live in a culture, but in the cockpit you live by the rules, not by a culture. That's the whole idea of training before you fly as a two man (or more) cockpit.

This is a good thread

I'm hoping that we can get beyond the culture of a country and their tabloid news pandering to an ingorant public and concentrate more on what goes on or should go on in the living environment of the cockpit.

I like to think of the error chain as:

Skill based

Knowledge based

Rule based

My narrow view at this time is that maybe we should evaluate the rules-based part of human error and ask why were they broke?

If you think that it was culture based then why was it not trained out?

Who here has the facts of what their training consisted of vs all the surviving pilots?