PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brookfield working practices, conditions, and Contracts
Old 5th May 2009, 12:58
WallyWumpus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cadet,

That all makes sense, all I can do in response is to remind you (and me!) that some of my views are personal, and consequently will not appeal to everyone.

Historically, people on Brookfield contracts have been doing all sorts of funky tax things, up to and including not paying tax or declaring residency anywhere. The new system ensures that we will all pay full PAYE in Ireland, closing many of the historical legal and illegal loopholes that have been exploited. I personally think this is a good thing from a social responsibility perspective, although it will cost me dearly compared to the old contract. I believe this is called putting my money where my mouth is, and it is a new experience for me.........

Your point about all monies going to the Irish revenue is valid, but in putting together double taxation treaties between countries, it is fair to assume there will be a balance struck between non-nationals paying tax in-country vs nationals paying tax abroad, and my guess today would be that there are plenty of Irish people paying income tax in the UK and elsewhere, which is now balanced by us paying tax in Ireland.

I do not agree with your assertion that we work for Brookfield. If anything we work for RYR, but given their decision to work with a contractor model they use Brookfields. The relationship is certainly close and involves much smoke and many mirrors, but I would stop well short of considering my position as Brookfield employment.

My bottom line is this - I think Brookfield have decided to use a hammer to crack a nut - the nut being the shoddy compliance of many of it's contract pilots - the hammer being the mandate to use one of 3 accountants to ensure Irish revenue compliance. I know my views don't meet with everyone's approval or agreement, but I for one agree their actions are both measured and appropriate under the circumstances.

Wally.