PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Handley Page Hermes IV
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2009, 10:57
Handley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Airwork Hermes?

I have recently joined this Forum and seeing some of the Handley Page Hermes postings reminded me of the time I flew in an Airwork Hermes but I am still trying to find out which one.
When I was stationed at RAF Nicosia over 50 years ago with the Suez crisis then building up many extra troops flew out to Cyprus in August 1956, but the aeroplanes returned empty to the UK. On 28 August 1956 I and another airman were due for some leave in the UK so we hitched a lift in an Airwork Hermes by smartly saluting the Captain and showing him our RAF Air Movement Authority forms. The overnight flight, which took 10 hours from RAF Nicosia (Cyprus) via RAF Luqa (Malta) to Blackbushe was one of the best I have ever had, the Handley Page Hermes being such a very comfortable aeroplane to fly in plus a full crew to look after just the two of us. Oh, happy days! Unfortunately with the comfort of the flight I forgot to note the aeroplane’s registration, but it would have been one of two Airwork Hermes IV’s:
G-AKFP (XD632)
G-ALDC (WZ840)
After all these years I would like to know which Airwork Hermes I flew in departing from RAF Nicosia at 1800hrs on 28 August 1956 for the flight via RAF Luqa (Malta), where I think we changed crews, to Blackbushe. The Blackbushe Tower Logs have long since disappeared so does anyone have any Airwork crew log books which could identify which of these two Airwork Hermes I flew in and also the names of any of the crew I flew with.
Many thanks in advance for any information you can give me.