PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dixon's incompetence almost ruined the company
Old 5th May 2009, 08:47
rodchucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a simple type of guy twho likes to try and understand things, and this is my favourite subject because everyone knows about GD but noone will do anything.

I am sitting here reading about a serious issue with Emirates that was an obvious error, that took just seconds, involved no deliberate intent, by some highly skilled, intelligent individuals who made a mistake (yep it was serious) and then performed to perfection (despite the obvious circumstances), that seems to me should have been detected by proper systems before it happened, and they get to walk the plank almost on the spot before anyone has a chance to see the facts or true underlying causes.

Then we have a CEO who embarks on a deliberate strategy, that involved significant self enrichment, which even on first reading could have jeopardised the entire company and he gets paid out millions to leave after it fails, and all of the acts were on company paid time.

Seems like there is something wrong with the system to me.

I am an old fart like TG and many years ago an IBM guy made a mistake that cost the company a ****eload and when asked if he was going to fire him, the then CEO said something along the lines, god why would I do that I have just paid $100m to train him.More tolerance I say, accountability is fine, but let it be equitable.

ps I have deliberately not repeated other and numerous public failings by GD as well which seem never to have been put on his report card or his bonus calculations for some reason.