PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "To err is human": differing attitudes to mistakes in EK and Turkish accidents
Old 5th May 2009, 08:05
757_Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worse than this, if I have understood correctly, is that there's no agreement on what to do about the problem. PJ2 says of the TK crash:

Further, there is no understanding in this accident that is useful in the addressing of organizational, systemic or human factors accidents.
So what to do? Are you saying these kinds of risks cannot be reduced?
No. They can and are reduced, but generally only where the operator, regulator and Accident investigation bereau understand what their role is in a true safety system. As soon as "national pride", "Face Saving", "Cultural influences".... call it what you will, comes into the picture then this system fails, and the ultimate manifestation of that failure is often a human factor accident. Many of these accidents are the ones that, after the event, we all say "what the hell....."
We are in real danger in our society (under the current regime) of going down the same route - where face saving, the good of the 'party' and political correctness become more important than telling the truth and having a sensible, safe regulatory regime. After all just look how the Banks regulator bent to political will and refused to question anything - a situation that is hugely relevent to our industry and should be a real wake up call to the importance of the political independence of national aviation regulators.
Fortunately it appears the CAA and AAIB are generally impervious to the insidious influence of westminster, however it is easy to see how these things can happen, and we can all see where it ends up.
To be honest i'm not sure what the answer is, but I see the errors made by the turkish crew, not just as a human error (granted - one that is almost impossible to understand) , but as the symptom of an entire systemic failure.
The fact that this is not the first in this particular airline and authorites case, and indeed is another statistic in quite a shocking record leads one even further to that conclusion.