PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "To err is human": differing attitudes to mistakes in EK and Turkish accidents
Old 5th May 2009, 06:53
BOAC
Per Ardua ad Astraeus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If there any mods around, can I make a plea that we do not immerse ourselves yet again in a relentless repetition of '"it was u/s", "why was it not snagged?" (soon we'll be asked about autolands here). PLEASE can you transfer any such posts to the already 'expired' Schipol crash thread?

PJ as usual says it for me -

"And, perhaps in increasing frequency given the accidents we have seen thus far this year, "I think I'll just let it do what it wants...".

The training issues alone are substantial but checking issues as well as flight data programs are crucial. Without those tools, an airline is flying blind and every incident or accident will be a shock and a surprise."

There are substantial lessons we all need to learn from recent accidents where 'automatics' have played a deadly part. Those who dismiss the Schipol crash as 'irrelevant' preach a highly dangerous, blaze and over-confident doctrine which serves no-one's interests but their own. In all these accidents, supposedly competent and experienced crews have allowed the unthinkable to happen. These events appear to be becoming less isolated than we had assumed they were. This is the major issue we need to address without delay.

Whether we have a type 1, 2 or 3 really is only of passing interest. This is 'Human Factors' in the raw.