PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Army major held over ‘medal fiddle’
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2009, 22:01
davejb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gallantry medals ought to be for sticking your nuts on the chopping block. Doing a good job in difficult conditions should get a meritorious service medal (there is usually a gong with a similar title available), whilst being in theatre should get you a campaign medal. Devaluation always occurs to a point - you can always point to somebody who doesn't seem to have deserved what they got, but that should be 'the odd case' not 'company policy'.

This isn't a comment on the Army Major but the system in general.

When you devolve the system of awards to a comittee who have no experience of the sharp end, then don't be surprised to discover that they don't undertsand that gallantry medals are supposed to reflect bravery in the face of genuine danger. Look on the bright side, at least there's not been a move (so far) to award VC's to random taxpayers, drawn by lottery, on the grounds that we all share the financial burden....

It's very sad, in my view, that 'they' are producing a system where you don't simply automatically view a medal holder with respect... even if a great many were earned in a fit of blind madness!

(I retired without making good my fondest wish - to earn a DFM the hard way, beating out a cabin fire 'cos the extinguishers had run dry (over Berlin, in the searchlights etc etc) ......with the 2nd Nav....