PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tigerclub - Headcorn
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2009, 21:01
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck with the rest of your PPL.

In time you will decide what type of flying you enjoy or suites your needs. In the mean time try as many types as money or time enables.

I use my aircraft for business and pleasure. Tailwheels on the whole do not give me the performance or weather capability that suites my needs. However, tailwheel types are usually great fun to fly and open up strips and places to visit not available to many other types.

With a cub you need to choose your weather carefully and expect to miss out on some flying in consequence. If you are going places you need time on your side. Cubs need to be hangared so on the whole forget get in and go. Dont expect crisp handling with many older types - Moths demonstrate well how far aircraft have come. Love them or hate them, fly them not for the handling but for the same reasons you would own an MG midget.

Tailwheels have also come a long way. I have flown a Husky - exactly what a modern tailwheel should be - I would buy one tomorrow if I could justify another aircraft. I have flown an Extra - a Husky with an aerobatic mission! Exactly what a modern tailwheel should be with an added edge.

Each to their own, each different, each will bring a smile - or a grimace when you find your skills are not up to the task.

Good luck!