PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 5
Thread: Aer Lingus - 5
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2009, 19:40
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Either a smaller aircraft for itself, or alternatively
Akerosid
I couldnt agree more on this one, if we look at Flybe; Ryanair have totally avoided direct competition with Flybe and in my view this is because the markets where Flybe operate often lend themselves well to a reasonably high frequency that wouldnt warrant a 737 any more than daily.

If Aer Lingus took on this approach, they could become very effective in the fight against Ryanair.

but have recent press releases re Belfast not been pretty positive of late, booking levels the same as DUB and ORK, and the base will break even this year. Why on earth pull BFS now, when its potentially getting to the stage of making money???
BFS101; you are correct, the media has been largely saying that it is all progressing very well and yes ACE has been great in terms of loads. However, I think that the airline scene is changing massively from month to month, and the cracks are starting to show since Mannion left, ie the truth is coming out about the expected level of losses for the current year,which are at the 'bottom end of initial guidance'. It seems that the propoganda that was put out under Mannions reign was over sold and now underdelivered?

I am not sure things are too good. I am a big fan of EI,use them often but dont work for them. I do hope that they are here for the long run.

However, lets say hypothetically that Aer Lingus axed Belfast? Would Ryanair be attracted to BFS? If the runway extention gets the red light in the end, will Ryanair be happy to work with BHD?

What does anyone else think?

EI-BUD