PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Did anyone find training as hard as I do?
Old 4th May 2009, 17:37
BetpumpS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Abagnale,

Before I left last week I read your post and in the first few sentences, realised it was absolute tripe hence my telling you to "Put a sock in it". I also did not really like the condesending remarks pertaining to "daddy" being rich enough that it didn't matter how long it took me to complete each stage.

That assumption is as useless as you coming here with some new-found authority that allows you to tell anyone that if they haven't gone solo by 20 hours then they should F-off out of the industry. To anyone embarking on a career, or to low hour PPLs, those words would really put them off IMHO. I have never met a pilot with that attitude.

Perhaps the monkier Abagnale is a cryptic clue to tell us exactly what type of 'pilot' you really are...

Lesson 12/13 are the circuits so once they have been mastered and the instructor has confidence in your own confidence and there is less than a knot of wind!- then he/she may put you solo. When I did my PPL, the weather was not brilliant when it came to my solo flight (circa 16 hours). Considering I had already completed a Gliding Scholarship with the Air Cadets including a solo (trust me when you are that young and don't have an engine for go-around, the gliding solo is scary) I told him I wasn't bothered. We continued with lessons and finally went solo at 22 hours.

To all who read this thread, minium time is not the be-all and end-all. It is called minimum for a reason. Of course it is good to get close to it as possible.

I also think the OP is not wasting time asking others if they had similar difficulties. What real pilots learn is that mentorship and coaching is as important as the actual training.