PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "To err is human": differing attitudes to mistakes in EK and Turkish accidents
Old 4th May 2009, 15:20
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think your summing up of the "consensus" is a fair representation of how most people see it. Personally, I can imagine a situation arising ,particularly in a training environment, that could lead to one "approaching" the Turkish scenario. What I find harder to justify is taking my eye off the ball long enough for it to develop as catastrophically as it did. Regretably, whichever way you dress it up, it really was one god- all -mighty loss of situational awareness.
As I understand it, the EK incident was caused fairly simply by getting a number wrong.
I agree with you entirely that there should be a system of checks and balances in place to stop it happening, if there is, and it was circumvented/ignored then this becomes a Type 3 accident as the error becomes a bit less "forgiveable", but it seems the system allowed this error to slip through too easily by far.
Another accident that is difficult to categorise is the ditching off Sardinia of the TunisAir ATR42. In this case a simple system of crosschecks would have shown up the ridiculous discrepancy in the fuel uplift, but either the system didn't call for the check, or it was simply omitted/misunderstood. . . again teetering between Type2 & 3.
I hate to say it here also, for fear of being flamed, but had it been a Lufthansa/Air France/BA rather than Turkish aircraft involved, perhaps slightly more understanding might have been shown.
Unfortunately, whether we like it or even care to admit it, we are all guilty in life to a greater or lesser extent, of just a teensy-weensy bit of "casual racism" from time to time. Alas that is truly imprinted in the nature of human beings ,as any thorough research can demonstrate. It is a primeval instinct, which we we don't consciously seek, & can only at best partially ignore.
Interesting question you pose though