PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are you going to Infringe CAS Tomorrow?
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2009, 11:38
scooter boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WRT LTMA infringements.
IMHO the best way is to have a moving map GPS display showing airspace and to talk to Farnborough LARS.

NOTAMs are more difficult.
There are still obstacles that prevent the online service being at all intuitive.
The other problem is that one often has to deviate off track - usually for weather. So just how wide a track of NOTAMs do you request?

I agree with Stampe the 767 pilot. IFR in the airways is so much easier and the service is fab. No proper service seems to exist to cope with GA IFR flight outside of controlled airspace in the UK. Sometimes you get handed over, sometimes you don't.

BTW I just did my FAA BFR/IPC - in Tarbes yesterday with a great pilot/CFII friend.
He gave me a real workout wrt flying the aircraft and we did all the stuff I generally don't bother to do until I felt comfortable doing it.
I flew Plymouth to Guernsey (filled up with cheap fuel) got DCT Olero from Guernsey and then DCT TBO so the trip was very short - same routing on the way back except I didn't need a fuel stop in the CI and landed in Plymouth with tanks 1/3rd full of cheap CI fuel. French ATC were fantastically laid back as ever.

Well worth the trip.

SB