PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 5
Thread: Aer Lingus - 5
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2009, 23:26
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EI-RB
I agree with alot of what you said and competing with Easyjet but I would add, Belfast is a small market, in many of the markets that Aer Lingus went onto eg Geneva, Nice, Amsterdam, Paris, London etc, there was gross over capacity, and while Aer Lingus had awful loads on some of the routes, easyjet have been suffering too.

The Aer Lingus brand is well know in NI, many of the locals here have often went to Dublin to use Aer Lingus on routes that are not available from here.

Aer Lingus you said need to offer something better and better customer service, as someone who uses both of the carriers I think that the Aer Lingus product is better. Better planes, better experience, ie pre select seats. However, have to say Easyjet staff particularly the BFS base crew are very tuned into the customers needs and are totally aware that passengers have a choice in many markets and they do go the extra mile. This costs nothing to the airlines.

In Gatwick , the market is huge, If Aer Lingus can attract the customer once they will come back, and at best it is very early days. Aer Lingus need a smaller aircraft in Belfast in my view. Developing new markets such as Munich, Milan etc a 172 seater is too big.

Aer Lingus have made the big mistake of bowing down to Easyjet at Belfast by axing many of the main routes eg Amsterdam. Easyjet have nothing to be afraid of in LGW as they know that Aer Lingus will stick it out for so long until easyjet beat them down and then they will pull out.

In summary, what I am saying is that I dont believe that the same experience may be replicated at LGW as London is a huge market. However, as it is LGW, easyjet will probably follow them onto any new route that they open.. except Knock of course :-)

What about LGW to city of Derry, this has to be a great opportunity, Ryanair have cut back Stansted, and LGW is the better gateway.. what does anyone else think?

EI-BUD