PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do you cope with Captains from HELL?!?!
Old 10th May 2002, 22:12
autoflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I was F/O there were more than a few captains from hell, in military and airlines. In some rare cases working together was unsafe, so I made official requests to avoid them. These requests got a frosty reception, and possibly my career suffered as a result. Too bad! Better than dead.
As a captain, there were just as many difficult F/Os. I had no hesitation about flying with those who actually tried to co-operate. Some extremely rare cases of official "request to avoid" met the same frosty reception.
There is no excuse for a captain to ferment bad feeling on the flight deck, but do try to remember that we are all human.
He is just as likely to have a Check Captain from hell, management from hell and work for an airline from hell. I have experienced all these, and met them head on. The pressure to resist unsafe procedures finally was too much and I elected to remain out of flying.
If you cannot resolve your feelings about CFH, and these flights are unsafe as a result, you must not fly with these guys. If you cannot avoid them, you must leave that company and try for another that has a better culture. If these things are not possible, you need to try another career path. The justification for your feeling is irrelevant. Your responsibility is for safe flight.