PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Character Building" Landings
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2009, 19:20
Pilot DAR

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts
With only a very few exceptions, general aviation aircraft are best landed not by trying to fly them onto the earth, but rather keeping them straight and wings level, pointed down an appropriate landing area, with inadequate power to maintain level flight. At the point when they can no longer produce enough lift to remain airborne (stall) they will land, if you have precisely positioned the aircraft over the runway, at about 6" off, with no drift, you're going to have a good landing - once. That said, even with more than 25000 landings, I still mess up the odd one.

If you force the aircraft onto the runway with flying speed, it's going to bounce. If you let it drop onto the runway with flying speed, it's going to bounce. If it contacts the ground no longer having flying speed, it cannot bounce - problem solved. Though it is possible to allow an aircraft to contact the ground with lots of excess speed and not bounce, it requires tremendous precision. You will be amazed how well you can control the plane right down to the stall while landing - don't be afraid to keep it in the air. It will decellerate as well in the air, as it will in contact with the ground at the same speed ('cause you're not going to jump right on the brakes anyway - right?).

Having been railed before for this statement, I will dare repeat it now: If you have the stall warning horn sound while you're a few inches over the runway, and your not drifting, and have lots of room ahead of you, you're going to have a good landing.

The afore mentioned technique is not conducive to short landings, those will come with time, and familiarity with type. I recently flew 10 progressively more severe landings in a Cessna Caravan for the purpose of assuring adequate ground clearance of a tail boom. To achieve a proper test result, it was necessary to land with the stall horn blaring, and then pull the nose much higher. It worked fine, and the landings were great! And no, I'm not a Caravan pilot, I'd only landed a wheel plane Caravan once years before.

Before...

After (Intentionally!)

Fly the plane, don't let it fly you!

PPRuNe is a great place for advice, ask any time...

Cheers, Pilot DAR