PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - URGENT Foreigner owns Aircraft but FAA "N" US registered through american citizen
Old 3rd May 2009, 18:45
n5296s

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
you cannot own the aircraft if you are not a US citizen
It's a long time since I did this, so things may have changed - although I don't think so.

If you keep your N-reg plane IN the US, then it can be owned by a US corporation of which the officers do not have to be US citizens or residents. It must not be out of the US for more than some fraction of the time - I forget exactly (since I never take my plane outside the US it doesn't matter to me).

If you want to KEEP an N-reg outisde the US, that's a different story. In that case it must be registered in the name of a US resident, and that's where you need the trust company.

So if you just want to fly legally in the US for a few months, then export the plane AND put it on a non-US registry, the Delaware corporation is the way to go - inexpensive (compared to the overall cost of owning a plane) and simple. (It took me maybe a couple of hours to create and an hour or so of form filling every year, plus payments of a few hundred dollars. The Company Corporation really take care of everything including paying bills when you forget to, as long as they have your credit card on file).

If you ultimately want to keep the plan outside the US but on the N-registry, then you may as well start with the trust company since that is where you will end up.

(Oh... re the quote above, you don't have to be CITIZEN, just a RESIDENT, i.e. green card holder (or citizen of course) ).

n5296s