PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - bonding 2 pieces of ali?
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2009, 14:21
blakmax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are on the money gaseous

Hi Gaseous
You are absolutely correct. We have been using a silane (gamma glycidoxy propyl trimethoxy silane) since 1992 and we have reduced our repeat repair rate from 43% to near zero out of about 3500 repairs. Silane is a component in "Bojel" a sol-gel product developed by Boeing in kit form. The best results are achieved by sovent degreasing followed by a grit blast and IMMEDIATE application of the silane. Boeing recommend the use of a primer but our experience is that the silane IS a primer and is effective in corrosion prevention. If you can't find Bojel then try Dow Corning Z6040.
The difference between grit blast and hand abrade is significant. Grit blast where possible, but NOT in fuel tanks.
God it is good to find someone who knows that it is not just a process of selecting different "glues".
By the way, in the past I conducted a course in which I told the students that they needed to spell the name of the coupling agent gamma glycidoxy propyl trimethoxy silane before they could pass the course. I then set a question stating "Spell the name of the coupling agent gamma glycidoxy propyl trimethoxy silane". Would you believe that out of about fifty students who actually did attempt the question, only four got it right and it was written in front of them!!!