PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK - NATS Pay negotiations - latest rumours
Old 3rd May 2009, 13:10
BDiONU
Beady Eye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by anotherthing
BD is an ex RAF controller.
Correct and I have controlled at ScACC and LJAO so am very aware of the civil way of working.
I must admit, his opinion did surprise me somewhat given his ATC history, especially as he would have been an assistant at one time himself and should know how a good assistant can enhance the safety operation.
I was indeed an ATSA and worked my way up the greasy pole. I note all of the comments from others about my perception of the ATSA role and I stand by it. Increased use of tools in NERL is making some ATSA tasks redundant. For example is it really good use of a person to take strips off a printer, put them in a holder and take them round to the controllers? I don't think so and iFACTS and EFD will remove that requirement (already TC ATSA's don't sit on the sectors and PC will have ATSA's slightly further away than currently). There are very vital jobs for ATSA's to do, ones which are demanding of skill, knowledge and expertise but not ATCO skills etc.

I apologise for the aggressive tone of my post, it was unnecessary. Just as you shouldn't post when drunk you shouldn't post when not feeling great

BD