PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cargolux details requested!
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2009, 11:14
Pow-wow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi happyapple,

First of all, I think what Frank is trying to say, is that no-one will be able to tell you if you´re going to like the lifestyle or not...!

It is very much an individual/personal thing.
What suits one person is not the best for the next...anyway, I´m sure you know this already.

Guys deal with the lifestyle in very different ways.
In the end, what you choose to do with your time downroute is up to you.
You can decide to mope in a hotel room, or as mentioned before in this thread...go drinking, hoaring or praying...or all three...

I joined about a year ago from short haul 5-4-5-3 stuff and for me personally it has been a great choice.

I got very fed up with 5 earlies in a row or 5 lates ending in your first day off. Also, my idea of being an airline pilot, involved actually getting off the aircraft for more than a walkaround and talking to a refueller.....I wanted to see something of the destinations I was flying to.

Again, personally in those respects, it has been a 150% improvement.

Yes, I am only just past my first year here, but I still enjoy the places we go to. I think to completely explore all of them in the network, will take several years. And the mix/variance of the places is just right for me.
One minute your in Los Angeles and the next your in Lagos or Kinshasa...that to me, makes it a great job, with enough "spice" to keep you interested and on your toes.

My biggest concern when I applied was my family.
You will need a wife/husband/partner who is willing to put up with the fact, that you might be gone for the next 10 days.
The way I looked at it was, that in the short haul, I might have been in the house every day at SOME point, but not nessecarily at the times that my family were awake.

One thing my wife and I noticed within the first months of working at CLX is, that I seemed to come home a lot more rested, than I did in short haul. Of course you have trips which will get you home tired, but in the grand scheme of things, I feel more alert and keen to do things with the family on my off days, were as before I felt like a Zombie tagging along.

The hotels we stay in are all the in the top best any destination has to offer and our hotel commitee do a very good job.

The decession lies with you in the end of course, and YOU will have to make the choice.
I also looked at it with the attitude of..."If you hav´nt tried it you wont know if you like it"

I hope this helps a bit...for me its been a change for the better...