PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch Aircraft Engineering Apprenticeship Scheme
Old 3rd May 2009, 10:14
Tempsford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some good advice here and the usual unfortunate (but predictable) sniping as well. The Monarch Apprenticeship Scheme is excellent. Monarch has continued apart from a gap of a few years, to train engineers (Some airlines and MRO never have!). To date there have been just over 1000 apprentices trained by Monarch. I started my apprenticeship with Monarch or No.1 Aeronautical Apprentice Traing School in 1973. With regard to Don Peacock, I can remember when the workforce rejected a pay deal from management. He called a meeting in the hangar, got up on a box and said that unless we accepted it, he would close the company down the following day. We accepted the offer. As regards how they would react as to how they would view MAEL today, they would be impressed. How do I know that? I knew Don (though not as well, I suspect as Rubik) and Jock. Virtually all other MRO in the UK that were around in 1968 are gone. To survive in todays market does need some difficult decisons to be made. MAEL are making such decisions in order to survive and they are prepared to continue to do so.

Last edited by Tempsford; 3rd May 2009 at 10:40.