PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Take-off data calculations whilst Taxiing
Old 3rd May 2009, 05:36
ZS340

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take-off data calculations whilst Taxiing

It is apparent that a Major UK carrier,regularly departs the gate without receiving the final load-sheet via the ACARS. This information is usually received whilst taxiing out and then the take-off data is calculated and setup. I do not know the exact procedural details that they comply to, but I do know that quite often this "final" has not been received by the time they reach the holding point. They then advise ATC that they are unable to depart due to the fact that they have not received the applicable data or need time to calculate their speeds/thrust settings and performance limitations etc

They then block the taxiway for everyone else until they have the required data. At FACT this means no one moves. I have been stuck behind them twice at FAJS in the past month and my F/O reported the same happening to him at FACT.

Is this his normal practice i.e. SOP?
I believe that this procedure could result in an incorrect T/O data calculation which could have disasterous results.

If the data is being processed whilst the aircraft is moving then surely lookout etc. is being compromised.

As an outsider looking in it just seems an unsafe practice which gains very little, and in my humble opinion is poor airmanship.

I do think it is very selfish, with little regard for other operators.

ATC should not allow it, if one is not ready with regard to T/O data,then one should be instructed to vacate the taxiway and return to the ramp, or the very least to a holding area, allowing others who have complied with their SOP's and have made the necessary calculations, to depart.