PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pig flu and an economic crisis...
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2009, 00:24
AbsoluteAltitude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Casa Bans All Staff Travel Due To A(H1N1)

Out for tea in Brisbane on Saturday night I found out that the new CEO of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority, Australia has placed a ban on staff travel due to the influenza oubreak.

The CASA CEO apparently stated in an e-mail to all staff on Friday 1st of May that all travel is banned for OHS reasons as the CEO is exercising his "Duty of Care".

If it is so dangerous to travel then he also has a duty of care to all Australians. Doesn't he?

So why is CASA at odds with the Minister for Health and the World Health Organisation? The CEO is completely out of step with the WHO's information released on the same day. Interesting that this WHO information wasn't given any airing in the media.

CASA's reputation is bound to take a severe pasting over this given that the CEO has now joined the media hype, panic and the great uninformed.

If it is truly dangerous to travel then the CEO of CASA has a duty of care to all the airlines, flight crew, cabin crew, check-in staff and the public and he should be getting the entire industry to shut down.

I wonder if the Minister for Transport and Minister for Health will back up the CASA CEO for his courageous decision?

Maybe I can use it as an excuse with my airline and say that I can't work this week because even the CEO of CASA says its too dangerous to travel?

WHO update 1 May 2009 shown below.

You decide.

John.

No rationale for travel restrictions

1 May 2009 -- </SPAN>WHO is not recommending travel restrictions related to the outbreak of the influenza A(H1N1) virus. Today, international travel moves rapidly, with large numbers of individuals visiting various parts of the world. Limiting travel and imposing travel restrictions would have very little effect on stopping the virus from spreading, but would be highly disruptive to the global community.
Influenza A(H1N1) has already been confirmed in many parts of the world. The focus now is on minimizing the impact of the virus through the rapid identification of cases and providing patients with appropriate medical care, rather than on stopping its spread internationally. Furthermore, although identifying the signs and symptoms of influenza in travellers can be an effective monitoring technique, it is not effective in reducing the spread of influenza as the virus can be transmitted from person to person before the onset of symptoms. Scientific research based on mathematical modelling indicates that restricting travel will be of limited or no benefit in stopping the spread of disease. Historical records of previous influenza pandemics, as well as experience with SARS, have validated this point.
Travellers can protect themselves and others by following simple recommendations related to travel aimed at preventing the spread of infection. Individuals who are ill should delay travel plans and returning travellers who fall ill should seek appropriate medical care. These recommendations are prudent measures which can limit the spread of many communicable diseases and not only influenza A(H1N1).