PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - State of Virgin Blue
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2009, 22:43
wirgin blew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aircraft in fleet up 30.4%
Pax numbers up 10.7%
LF down 2.4%

I hear what you are saying about extra aircraft but the LF are holding up. I would have a guess and say that VBA are on track to meet forcast P&L figures posted in DEC barring the GFC worsening, SwFlu, or anything else that gets thrown at them.
VA has the cheapest staff by far operating over the Pacific something that I think has been commented on here already
Fuel and plane costs would be relatively the same as well as airport handling fees. Wages are the point of difference on the route and will be the difference going forward. The only way QF was able to compete in the past with regards to this was to create J*. I doubt they are willing to try it on the SYD-LAX route. So in the mean time QF LH will be suffering. QCCA will help but not enough in the short term.
I am not saying that VA have done the right thing by driving wages down but it is an industry that has far to much glamour for whats actually involved. So you will find people that are willing to undercut others just to see what all the fuss is about. Sooner or later they will realise and move on, others will be happy with the T&C no matter how low you go.