PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the latest news of the V22 Osprey?
Old 2nd May 2009, 22:39
FH1100 Pilot

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
21st Century said:
It sure does seem small (caliber and barrel length), but perhaps the accuracy brought in with the CCD camera, IR camera, l@ser range finder, and computer slewing capability will more than make up for that if BAE claims are accurate. I can see the logic that it's better to 'hit the target' than 'make a louder bang' with a bigger caliber.
Umm, just *how* many little 7.62 rounds does this new gun have available? Judging by the size of the box in the video, not bloody many! And at 3,000 rounds per minute, the operator won't be able to hold his finger on the button for long. Will it be able to be reloaded in flight? How much does this assembly weigh? Looks heavy.

tottigol:
I have to agree with USMC Helo on the V-22. I have several friends who are flying the Osprey and they rate very highly.
Well of course they do! Has anyone EVER met a pilot who really, truly thought his a/c was a piece of sh!t...a pilot who truly thought he was assigned to a bad plane that was unsuitable for the job? Heh. No, most pilots think "their" ship is the bestest, most wonderful aircraft ever built. This is especially true for the V-22 crews. You cannot expect anyone associated with the program to be objective. Just. Not. Possible.

SASless:
This BAE concept is the best answer to a bad question perhaps.....but as in the mortar wagon the USMC spent Billions on......it is putting a band aid over a cancer.
How appropriate! Couldn't have said it better meself.