PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK407 Tailstrike @ ML
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2009, 19:25
mensaboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whitenight,

It was not ''bad gen'' from the training department, it was the wrong technique being taught by some individuals. Many pilots were instructed to use the german cross, but thankfully the line guys knew better and most of us did not perform our first real takeoff in an A343 out of Joburg! Remember how ''avoid a tail-strike'' was literally beat into us, pretty much at the exclusion of everything else? So for you to explain away the accident simply by blaming the pilot for derotating, is to ignore the true causal factors.

I have no problem flying MFF either; you missed the point. It CAN be a contributing factor especially if currency is somewhat lacking. I'll bet you anything, the average A343 pilot who only flies an A343 will be more proficient than the average pilot who flies 3 types and as you put it, only once in 4 months.

I never complained about losing currency either. My currency has lapsed and the rostering department was advised well in advance, yet they did nothing to fix the problem. According to YOU, it is still the pilots fault even if he tried his best to fix the error coming out of rostering.

Some pilots who decree that this job is simple, MFF is never an issue or use the ''it's not rocket science'' argument, tend to expound on these topics in an attempt to convince people that 'they' manage things fine, so therefore they should be viewed as a better pilot than someone with the audacity to believe that MFF might be a contributing factor.

I once flew with a guy who spoke almost the exact same words you wrote in your post, yet on departure when ATC asked us to expedite our departure climb thru 2000', he went on a tirade about ATC not understanding the capabilities of the A340. Yet he continued accelerating past S speed, past green dot speed (about 240kts). Not too bright, and not exactly rocket science either.........but I have no doubt he still views himself in much the same light as you view yourself.

I enjoy MFF flying because it makes my job more interesting and it also makes my schedule better. But to go 89 days since your last flight on type, is not exactly ideal under some circumstances. Rostering 2 pilots for their first takeoff on the A343 out of Joburg, is just dumb.

To view yourself as maintaining the exact same proficiency on 3 types as opposed to 1 type, is a tad arrogant. To criticize pilots who realize it is more probable to omit something due to MFF, smacks of an attitude not conducive to safety or perhaps reality.

I truly hope you never forget some obscure OEB or FCI pertaining to one aspect of your flight on a given day. Do you base the success and skill of your flight solely on your landing too? Just wondering... kind of fits the pattern.