PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 5
Thread: Aer Lingus - 5
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2009, 14:45
johnrizzo2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If SNN t/a operations make money, they can be flown ex DUB by DUB crew.

I think outsourcing in DUB base ground staff would be a stupid move. At least hold to a EI staff for ticket desk etc, and keep some amount of EI presence on the ground.

There is no need for catering and cleaning. They can be done a lot more cost effectively by the likes of Gate Gourmet or Alpha. As they wont be EI staff, higher standards can be enforced without the threat of the unions. Catering could be improved on long-haul, and would probably still be cheaper as the staff wont be on EI contracts. In times like these, where airlines are cutting back, i'm sure cleaning and catering companies would fight tooth and nail to get a contract with EI in DUB, which would save EI even more money.

SNN & ORK ground staff cover a few EI flights a day, so they can be easily outsourced to Servisair etc.

SNN cabin crew base flies BOS and JFK, which can be flown by DUB based crew.

Times are tough, and its time to face up to facts. I dont see pay cuts making much of a difference in lowering costs, and EI will still be lumbered with over-staffing, and a base they dont want. If BA, AF or LH are to invest in EI, the company needs to cut back, and cleaning, catering and SNN are the easiest targets.