PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK - NATS Pay negotiations - latest rumours
Old 2nd May 2009, 12:03
BDiONU
Beady Eye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roidster
Safety is compromised when the controller doesn't have an ATSA there anymore to provide an extra pair of eyes due to cut backs due to lack of money.
I dunno if you're NSL or NERL but I can only answer from a NERL perspective. Is your ATSA a qualified and licensed ATCO? If not why are you expecting him/her to fulfill ATCO duties?
Safety is compromised when the college courses are not of a sufficient length to provide the best training possible due to financial restraints. Safety is compromised when the college concentrates on getting numbers out the door rather than quality.
Have we done away with OJTI's now so that ab initio's are controlling solo? Has passing boards become easier such that just any old person can pass one now? I don't believe that to be the case, therefore I don't believe that the perceived 'quality' of ab initio's is compromising safety.
Safety is compromised when the controller is concerned with his pending relocation, his dwindling pension or the future of the company when they should only be thinking of keeping the planes apart.
Hhhmmm, perhaps the controller should be concentrating on the job in hand and saving 'worries' for when they're off console, like professionals do.
What's been wrecked? The pension and staff morale.
Ah yes the pension, the changes which were democratically voted for because some people thought it the best way to save their pension instead of having it wrecked. Yes staff morale isn't great but nor is the economy and at least most of us still have quite well paid jobs.

Cheers
BD