PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pig flu and an economic crisis...
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2009, 05:46
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wasn't inferring you were afraid Sunfish merely that The Science Of Fear was a worthwhile read. It explains really well how Govts, NGOs, Corporations etc use fear constantly and why it works with the majority of the population

I underestimated the Influenza deaths in the US/annum. It is 36000 and over 200,000 worldwide...every year. Big numbers eh?

This is what NGOs and the Media do...they give you the raw number without any context. They will also provide lots of images..the more emotive the better...people wearing masks, little children laying helplessly in hospitals, harried medical staff. And they draw completely irresponsible and inaccurate
comparisons with prior events like the 1918 Pandemic.

200000 worldwide deaths/annum equates to 0.03% of the world population. Doesn't sound so scary now does it?

SARs killed 800 worldwide but mostly in China?

That equates to .000008% just assuming all deaths were in China...the number if you include the world population wont even fit on my calculator.

If we assume for the sake of argument that 'Swine Flu' infects says 3000 people in Mexico that would be .0027% of the Mexican population of circa 110,000 000.

Thus far we are talking 100s of suspected cases not 1000s and 10s of deaths not 100s.

So is all the angst and money wasted on this 'pandemic' worth it?

Doesn't sound like to me.

1000s more people are dying daily from heart attacks, car accidents, normal influenza, diabetes, malaria and a dozen other things...but they dont resonate with the media....too hard to make a scary headline out of Diabetes

The reason comparisons in the media to the 1918 pandemic are irresponsible and unreasonable is that in 1918 they didn't even have the most basic knowledge of hygiene nor even the most basic drugs. So called 'experts' who get their face on TV and suggest 'it is just a matter of time before another 1918 size pandemic hits the planet' are being disingenuous to say the least.

4PW glad to see you back flying