PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What makes a good charter pilot?
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2009, 05:38
captncannot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
know how to fly overweight if required. know how to get back with a system unserviceablity when others might not. know how to 'get in' when others cant.
I disagree entirely with the above. My advice would be, be prepared to say NO politely but firmly, to any employers, clients or engineers asking you to operate illegally. It will happen, so be ready to stand your ground.

Nobody ever expects a flight to end in an accident. But every time you fly, consider that your preparation will become subject to rigorous examination if someone gets hurt.

Your professionalism and discipline alone will determine what is said about you following an accident investigation. Decide in advance that should someone get hurt today, it may be fate, or it may be circumstance beyond my control - but MY actions will not be found contributing.

There are simply no excuses for operating overweight that will withstand public scrutiny following an accident. Don't be drawn on discussions about technicalities - performance has nothing to do with it. All that matters is that you come up the kok if the flight doesn't go your way.

Consider how such factors would be considered by a court and/or the media if someone gets hurt while you're PIC. Consider how such findings would be viewed by your peers and prospective employers. You will encounter (and rightly so) some very rigid views on this topic should you aspire to flying larger aircraft later in your career.

It's YOUR license, it's YOU who is responsible.

If fate deals you a raw hand, try your best to make sure it wasn't you who poked the first hole in the cheese