PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Halon - Commission to propose remove aviation's critical use exemption
Old 2nd May 2009, 00:04
chris weston
Second Law

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Halon Fire Extinguishers

It's right up to a point to refer to the high density of halogenated hydrocarbons as an important factor in their efficiency as fire extinguishers but it's not the whole picture. They don't just work by blanketing and excluding the O2, they also work by scavenging the free radicals inherent in any flame stopping the chain reactions inherent there and it's that that gives them their measurable performance edge.

However and by definition, their ability to generate halogen atom competitor free radicals is what also causes them to damage (ie reduce the concentration of) ozone in the atmosphere.

To me it's a simple risk/benefit analysis, I have a Halon extinguisher in the kitchen.......yes I keep weighing it.

The problem is that the people coming up with these actively dangerous suggestions are "critical thinkers" unencumbered by the burden of an inconvenient data base of experimental results.

Put more simply, they don't know enough.

CW

Radical (chemistry) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia