View Single Post
Old 10th May 2002, 15:24
Devil 49
"Just a pilot"

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Music and CA's

If I may, a few thoughts:

Capn Notarius-
I did a few psy op missions over the U Minh Forest, RVN, in a UH-1D. Speakers nearly filled the sliding door opening. We'd fly relatively low and slow (60 knots at 500' agl, NIGHTS ONLY!!!). As described to me by the psy war team in back, they played funeral music and the bereaved wailing, or a lonely family begging the enemy soldier to come home alive and cheu hoi now. Sounded like cats fighting to a foriegner.
The local TOC wanted a taste, so I flew over one night on returning to base, and then called and asked what they thought of those far out sounds.
"Thought of what?"
"I just flew over with the psy ops tapes blasting..."
"We couldn't really make anything out over the Slick noises."

Point is, one helicopter is pretty noisy, much less a large lift of Hueys. It would take some really MASSIVE sound equipment to contend and be effective.

Perhaps the inspiration for the Wagner music scene in Apocolypse was the Armed Forces Viet Nam radio network-always on the adf when I was flying to eliminate boredom. It was mentally jarring listening to guys in combat and 60's rock or beach music I chose to deal with that conflict of ideas rather than go absolutely nuts... I'm sure I'm not unique in my solution to the day to day inhumanity of combat "in country".

Robbo Jock-
As far as the attacking a relatively defenceless lift team waiting, I don't recall it happening. The VC/NVA were a resourceful, determined and fierce opponent, so I wouldn't be surpised to hear of it happening. I think they had better results amushing lifts in the LZ's. Two of my company's Cobra gun teams once covered an assault that actually caught the bad guys where they were supposed to be. Unfortunately, they knew we were coming and shot down-completely-the first two lifts, and knocked out a large part of the gun teams too-one in flames just outside the very hot LZ. That crew was recovered in a silver star effort by the C & C bird (We frequently a had a pilot in C&C as copilot position to advise on Gun tactics. Our guy suggested he wasn't leaving the Snake crew on the ground, even if it meant shooting everbody on board C&C first. They believed him.).
But I digress...