PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2009, 14:45
regle

Where is Regle ?

Andy, The book that the picture was taken from was "Mosquito at War" and was by the great Aviation author,Chaz Bowyer. The occasion was the revealing of the first R.A.F. Squadron to get the Mosquito. It was 105 Sqdn., based at Horsham St. Faith at the time but soon to move to Marham. We were all gathering to go to our aircraft and then take off and drop eleven and a half lb. practice bombs on a tent erected in the centre of the grass airfield. We swept down in formation at fifty feet and let the bombs go. Unfortunately we were flying towards the massed photographers who were snapping furiously but were soon flat on the ground as the fragments and, sometimes the bombs themselves ,came hurtling towards them. I am sure that Barnes Wallis was present and didn't forget the effect when he cane to design his Dambuster Bouncer.
I won't divulge where I am in the picture but I am not far away from my Observer, Les Hogan, who looks as though he is going to have his head sliced off by the tailplane of the Mossie GB-A in the front of the picture. The picture in my book is clearer and the "Bod" has not got the first Mobile phone. He is simply picking his nose.