PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Borghetti Gone..........
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2009, 14:34
blow.n.gasket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surprise surprise ,Oriana comes back for more!
Read what I wrote ,sport.
The only reason JetStar exists is because of Government conniving.
Under the pre-Howard meddled Corporations Act Qantas would not have been able to "transmit business" to JetStar which wouldn't have existed anyway!
So your hypothesis regarding how much Qantas pilots would have had to sacrifice to prevent flying being siphoned off is just that ,hypothetical.
Who knows what would have occured if JetStar wasn't given a WorkChoices conceived ceasarian birth?
The big question will be, what will happen going into the future?

Your jibe regarding the barons though is spot on.

I think you have totally misconstrued what Qantas pilots are upset about.
JetStar is here, granted. However if we had a Qantas management that actually managed the whole JetStar birthing process rather than Management using JetStar to try and metaphorically industrially castrate Qantas then the whole birthing process may have been totally different.

What we actually had was a CEO who had a Government on his side and Legislation he hepled create which led him to believe he didn't need to negotiate, just dictate because he thought he had a lay down misere. Imagine what the relationship would be today if JetStar was formulated from within the ranks of Qantas pilots. There would have been gnashing of teeth for sure ,as there is with any difficult birth, but junior people in particular would have embraced the lower wages and lesser conditions in order to gain quicker promotion, exactly as what occured with Australian airlines in Cairns.

So in answer to your question yes there would have been a hit in pay and rostering ,just as there was with the setting up of Australian.
The only difference I suppose is AIPA would have negotiated the best deal possible under the circumstances, unlike the JPC.
As Dixon always said, "you only get what you are willing to negotiate".