PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Combined Hearing and audiogram thread
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2009, 08:59
Mike12421

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm 56 years old and have slight hearing impairment in one ear. Does anyone know of what the JAR regulations state regarding hearing aids? Can one still hold a ATPL if a hearing aid is worn for the impaired ear?
I would also like to know the answer to this (as I may have to use it as a last resort.)

I am currently a serving Police Officer, but I dream of one day holding an ATPL. I am in the process of obtaining my PPL; however it is a slow process due to cost. Anyway, I obtained my Class 2 medical 2-3 years ago with no problems, especially none with my hearing. However, when I initially applied for the Police several years ago, I was told that my left ear was slightly below average, and so I had to re-take the hearing test a couple of weeks later (which I passed with no problems).

Fast forward to 2008, and I transferred to another force, and again had trouble with the hearing test. I was told that one of my ears was slightly below the acceptable limits, which I believe are as follows;
http://www.policecouldyou.co.uk/offi...al_59-2004.pdf

Anyway, I was accepted and thought no more about it.

I have no trouble with conversations etc, and to be honest, if these tests had not pointed anything out, I wouldn't have thought I had a problem.

My right ear does have a feeling that it has a small amount of “pressure" inside, but I have had my ears cleaned, and they were found to have no wax. Also, (and this is the strangest bit), when I close my mouth and swollow then breath, 90% of the time I can hear my breathing in my right ear then goes when I open my mouth??

My problem is I don't want to go to my doctor, and have my possible "over-reaction" noted on file, but at the same time, I need to get something done. I don't know if it is just nerves when I take these tests or what, but can anyone help?

I was hoping to go to a "private" Audiologist (if that’s correct) in the Northwest area, Liverpool or even Manchester. I don't mind paying to have my mind put at rest or for some advice, just as long as it stays private. Can anyone suggest anywhere? A look on Google found the following;
audiologists, consultation and private hearing treatment in Manchester

On a side note, I found these Class 1 requirements on another site;
The basic hearing test used throughout JAR-FCL 3 is the ability to hear conversational speech when tested with each ear at a distance of 2 metres from and with his back turned towards the AME. This test is done at every medical examination for both professional and private pilots. |
For professional pilots, and private pilots with an instrument rating, a further test called an audiogram is required. The audiogram is a test where you signify that you have heard sounds at different frequencies. Perfect hearing is measured as nil loss of hearing (0 decibel - 0 dB) at that particular frequency. Decreased hearing is shown as a decibel loss (10,20,30,40 decibels) at a particular frequency. The required hearing levels and the maximum allowable losses are:
35dB at 500Hz
35dB at 1000Hz
35dB at 2000Hz
50dB at 5000Hz
Thanks again.

Last edited by Mike12421; 1st May 2009 at 16:53.