PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2 Engine failure emergencies on heavy jets
Old 1st May 2009, 04:35
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome shanx, and refreshingly welcome is a young person's correct use of capitalisation and grammar.

Upon re-reading your initial post I see that your query pertains to the issue of a Type Rating, so I will respond along those lines.

As stated by others here, training for One Engine Inoperative (OEI) is common and mandatory for all types. Training for Two Engines Inoperative is also mandatory for 3 and 4 engined aircraft.

It is common to many conversion syllabi that exercises such that Depressurisation, All Engines Inoperative etc., are included in the conversion syllabus.

For type rating RENEWALS, OEI is mandatory, and the examiner has a choice of many other abnormalities to put your way, typically Instrument Failure, Flight Control abnormality etc., but in my experience, rarely the All Engines Inoperative case.

Having said that, our airline (which was one of those mentioned in the preceding post) regularly trains for the All Engine Inoperative case during Recurrent Training exercises which occur between Check flights. Typically, at least 1 engine is regained for twin engined aircraft, and 2 or 3 for 4 engined aircraft. That is reflective of history, where (as stated in preceding posts) the crew always succeeded in regaining "most" or all of their engines. Thus far, we do not train for nil engine recovery leading to a forced landing / ditching.

Some instructors (like the nasty one writing this post) do give an all engines failure with no recovery possible in the vicinity of the aerodrome, it's an eye opener!

Regards,

Old Smokey