PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - kidney stone?
Thread: kidney stone?
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2009, 21:54
mercurydancer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah yes, that makes sense. a 5mm stone isnt going to pass through anywhere. I'm surprised it got as far as the bladder end of the ureter. Lithotripsy cannot work on that part of the body. It is used at the kidney or in the kidney end of the ureter.

Plus side - the stone isnt up in the kidney so will be easy to get out. Its also likely to be round. Funny shaped ones can be a nighmare to clear. Ideal for dormia basket extraction. If its just a single stone then its an even bet that you wont get another.

Composition of the stone is important but this needs to be matched with your blood chemistry. One type of stone is urea crystalloid. This will match high urea in the bloodstream. Its a very similar process to gout, so dont think that any inflexibility in the feet or foot pain is irrelevant. Tell the medics everything. High calcium stones are most common. Hence my suggestion to lower high calcium food and drink. Keeping fluid intake up is very important. Aircraft can be dehydrating so plan to increase your fluid intake by about 15% when you do get back to work, and not coffee either. If you go anywhere hot and humid then you could easily double the fluid intake.

The pain from kidney stones is phenomenal and isnt that susceptible to any strength of painkillers as the pain is caused by spasm.

I hope the surgery goes ok.