PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL Training in Florida, September 2009
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2009, 16:00
destinationsky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Asianberry
the GAPAN aptitude test may be a good thing to try to see if you are suited to a career as a pilot. research all of the "sponsored" routes thoroughly and also look into the modular path where you do each stage in your own time. getting the funds will be the main issue i think (unless you have alot of savings!). even if you get on a sponsored course, you will still need to secure a loan against property. you can no longer get a secured loan for above £30k. speak to natwest/hsbc about loans etc if you want to go that route. all loan applications are considered on their own merits.
Try applying to CTC Wings also. even if you dont get accepted for the course, you will still do the PILAPT test and group excercises and get thorough feedback after. i know CTC and Oxford run open days where you can see the facilities and talk to real people as opposed to trawling the internet for hours. do not focus on one school, as i mentioned, DO YOUR RESEARCH!
even ask for trial flying lesson vouchers for birthdays/christmas etc and make sure you maintain a keen interest in all types of aviation, networking with people where possible. it all looks good on your applications! oh, and if you do the lessons, make sure you get a logbook so you can record your hours. they all count!
even try a few jobs out before you commit to a flying career. i have been out of school/college now for 8 years and i have tried 3 different jobs. although none of them are flying, i have experience of other industries. if anything, this time has reinforced my decision to become a pilot - i have tried other things and i now know all i want to do is fly!
Get yourself out there and dont give up. you may be rejected but make sure you bounce back!