PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pig flu and an economic crisis...
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2009, 14:15
Lodown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunfish, I appreciate your comments, but must admit that after many years of seeing all sorts of bleatings by the Chicken Littles of the community, I am suspicious of public statements that resemble someone throwing their hands in the air, running in circles and screaming, "We're all gonna die!"
Obviously, by the way the WHO is treating this, it is regarded as serious. Schools are closing in the US for two weeks, but that action is seemingly causing more problems than it attempts to solve. Parents have to stay home from work to look after the kids and the kids are congregating in public places regardless. I, like many, try to look for a balanced coverage of the circumstances and seek opinions of those knowledgeable on the subject for advice. It doesn't help to be a doomsayer on the subject, assuming the worst case scenario, as many in the media attempt to highlight. It yet could be an isolated development and a mild form of influenza. It doesn't help to spread panic when, for most people, they have little control over the outcome.