PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is your most memorable airshow and why
Old 10th May 2002, 10:19
pulse1

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
I think it was the first IATA show at Boscombe Down. The Russian contingent arrived in the middle of the show, a Su29 in formation with a small airliner (can't remember what). As the airliner passed me on final approach, the Su29 was still formating on his right wing, flying between the runway and the crowd line, gear down. As the runway goes down hill I lost sight of the Su29 behind the crowd but heard the commentator wondering out loud what he was going to do.

As the airliner touched down, the Su29 went vertical from about 20' and went straight into a spectacular, short display. It was claimed that this set a world record for the longest distance flown directly into an air display - about 3000 miles if I remember correctly.

Every display I've been to where the Russians have been displaying have been memorable, including the infamous Mig collision at Fairford.

Another memorable Russian display was at Yeovilton when, after a typically robust Su29 display, we watched the pilot take out of the nosewheel bay a large tarpaulin which he tidied up, and then restuffed into the bay. He also opened a hatch in the top of the wing and took out various plastic bags and a long plastic pipe
which was used as an adaptor to replenish one of the systems.

After he left, I heard London Mil. pleading with him to descend back to FL290 to which he had been cleared.