PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK407 - Tailstrike YMML 20 March
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2009, 06:45
pool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NO LAND 3

I basically agree, and have done it myself..... However, I challenge you doing so on your line check ......

The reason is that our laptops and SOPs do not provide for it. Maybe for a different flap setting, yes, allthough this was exactly what the TRE opposed. According to him, the flap setting in the laptop was there for a reason and therefore to be adhered to. I thought the laptop went for the most economic one and we could alter it for different safety aspects, but it seems no. Nothing is written to this aspect but the general SOP on how to use the laptop.

Concerning other conservative margins:
There would be the insertion of a different (higher) weight than actual. This results in a difference of Greendot or Vref on the FMC, thus impeding the gross error check, and not recommended. If you insert the same higher weight into the FMC, you'll get a different trim, again not recommended. Or you can insert a different (lower) ass-temp into the FMC, which in turn gives different V-speeds on the FMC, once again not recommended, as the error check with the laptop doesn't work. Unfortunately we cannot insert a lower ass-temp into the laptop, and that is precisely my criticism. Because with other methods I have come accross, this was possible and it is the only safe method, as both, laptop or other calc-means and FMC work with the same higher margin and correct weights, thus gross error check is possible.

Today at EK it's simple. The moment I am unhappy with any of the parameters, I go for full TOGA.