PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2009, 01:38
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cliff, As far as I know,rice Paper is still available.
My earliest memories are of exotic golden brown disc-shaped comestibles with a piece of almond in the centre and a halo of white paper upon which they rested........ Displayed with the other exotic cakes,in the glass case in the local bakers.
the day came when i was actually treated to one of these delicious confections which, I was informed , was a Macaroon...a very exotic name, and scent to match (perhaps I connected it with "Cameroons" in my subconcious).....well, the taste lived up to the looks and smell,but the crispy base was stuck firmly to the paper.

I took a lot of convincing that it was actually edible,but hesitantly put a piece on my tongue -and of course it dissolved The base was soon just a warm memory!

* reminds self to see if local baker still has them! *

What a treat, this week , with more fascinating stories of bygone days,- I can almost transport myself there,such are your descriptions.

What with inverted flying sans harness, and "ragging" the poor ,innocent indian girls.....you men certainly lived to the full.

Keep it up ,please!.....oh, yes, the letter scan is A1 even through my milk-bottle Bin's.